Black Coffee: Best Part of Waking Up is Antioxidants in Your Cup
By. Constance DeGroat
Coffee sets my day in this state of nirvana where any task is obtainable; pushing me to both stay on task and complete tasks at lightning speed. No wonder it is a popular drink amongst high schoolers and college students. If I ever won a Noble Prize, Grammy or Emmy I would thank coffee for my success. The Union Army during the Civil War was fueled by coffee and they credited it with helping them win the war. [i]Coffee is even credited as a great addition to a healthy weight loss diet.
How does coffee help you lose weight?
The caffeine in coffee suppresses your appetite and acts as a metabolism booster. Caffeine inspires lipolysis, fat oxidation, in the body and releases the fatty acids.
If you work out, I recommend switching out your unhealthy pre-workout sugar-water for coffee. Caffeine crosses the blood brain barrier and surges the circulation of epinephrine. Epinephrine helps increase your muscle strength[ii]. You’ll feel extra pumped during your workout.
What’s the healthiest way to drink coffee?
Did you know the highest pesticide sprayed crop is coffee? The healthiest way to drink coffee is organic and black.
To prevent bad cholesterol from coffee, make sure to use a filter when you prepare your coffee. Obviously, the healthiest way to drink coffee is preparing it yourself. Besides, don’t miss out on fresh coffee flavors, buy your own coffee bean grinder.
If you choose to purchase premade coffee, on the go, I recommend you drink it black.
We are overwhelmed with so many different unhealthy additives. Majority of them are advertised falsely as healthy (almond milk). When you avoid these add-ons, you can improve your stomachs digestive flora.
Recommendations from My Starbucks Barista Days…
In my barista training, I learned coffee is just like wine with light, acidic, full-bodied, and undertones of flavor.
The taste of coffee is determined by the soil it grows in (conditions), processing, roasting, and how it is brewed.
- Blonde-highly acidic, low-body (doesn’t cover your palate), and roasted for a short period, less flavor. If you usually drench your coffee in milk this would be a great alternative when you switch to drinking coffee black. The flavor is mellow. It goes great with citrus, milk chocolate, and nuts.
- Medium: If you’re looking for an evenly balanced palate, not too light or acidic, try medium. Has a roasted caramel flavor. Goes great with nuts, apples, blueberries, lemon, caramel, cinnamon, raisins, oatmeal, grapefruit, currants, oranges, and cocoa.
- Dark: If you love the taste of coffee this is for you. Full body coffee will coat your entire palate. Goes with maple, chocolate, caramel, toffee, cinnamon, buttery breads, pastries, spices, chocolate, toasted nuts, and roasted vegetables.
For more caramel undertones I’d drink espresso.
Flavors by Region:
- Latin America: Crisp acidity, with flavors of nuts, cocoa and soft spice.
- Africa: Lush and juicy, with flavors of floral and citrus to berry and spice.
- Asia/ Pacific: Full-bodied and syrupy smooth with herbal, earthy flavors. [iii]
Black Coffee Health Benefits
- Harvard is looking at coffee as an elixir against ailments from cancer to cavities.
- Coffee is the highest form of antioxidants consumed in America. Antioxidants fight free radicals.
- Coffee has higher antioxidants than tea.
- Magnesium content also aids in preventing diabetes.
- Contains potassium.
- Studies show these cancers are prevented in 20-25% of people who drink coffee: Prostate, endometrial, and basal cell carcinoma.
- The chlorogenic acid aids the absorption of glucose in the small intestine. We can take in chlorogenic acid as a green tea extract.
- Drinking coffee long-term decreases your risk for diabetes. It increases your insulin sensitivity.
- Enjoy drinking coffee between bites to help digestion.
- Coffee drinkers don’t have liver issues. If you do have liver issues start drinking and see improvements. [iv]
- Great for the brain. Reduces risk of Parkinson’s disease Alzheimer’s disease, and dementia.
- Vitamins B2, B3, and B5. [v]
Women are cautioned to watch their intake of coffee. Coffee can deplete women of both iron and calcium. When pregnant keep your coffee consumption down to one cup of coffee.
Always check the side effects of your medication. You can google if caffeine is safe with your medication to make sure you will fully benefit from the black coffee benefits.
Feature image via Caffeine Cup Coffee Coffee Beans Coffee Cup