The Dr Simeons HCG diet is one of the most well-known diet plans around the world, recognized as an extreme diet plan that involves drastic weight loss. It is a highly controversial program among medical specialists, as it involves a very low daily calorie intake (traditionally 500 calories per day, but you can find variations with 600 or 800 calories per day) and severe restrictions. There are numerous cases of individuals dropping more than 100 pounds throughout the entire process, so you can say that it works to drop weight. However, is the HCG diet plan safe? How generous is the HCG diet food list / menu for recipes? Will it help you reach your long-term weight loss goals? Are there any potential side effects or dangers?
This article aims to cover the basic information regarding the Dr Simeons HCG diet. It will inform you about each phase, potential pound drops, what foods you can and can’t eat, if you can carry it out without injections or not, what reviews and before/ after photos and results have to say and more. The main subjects of interest will focus on the HCG diet protocol, the HCG diet food list, the HCG diet plan, as well as any other details regarding the safety and Dr Simeons HCG diet. Approved and healthy alternatives to the Dr Simeons HCG diet can be found in our How to Lose Weight Fast and Safely article of diets and exercise combinations.
Dr Simeons HCG Diet Basics
To briefly explain, the Dr Simeons HCG diet was created by the UK doctor Albert T.W. Simeons around the 1950s. It is now free to consult online and analyze for your own educated opinion. Nevertheless, there are a few facts supported by official sources that should be taken into consideration:
- The HCG diet protocol is based on the HCG hormone (short for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin), which naturally occurs in the female body during pregnancy.
- HCG shots are required in the diet plan. An alternative to an HCG injection can be a pill or liquid supplement.
- None of these (shot, pill or drops) are approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for losing weight. FDA approved uses for HCG is for specific cases of sperm count (when men use it for treatment) or infertility (for women’s treatment).
- The original Dr Simeons HCG diet involves a 500 daily calorie consumption.
- The HCG injection detox diet plan can be carried out in two rounds: 26 days (short round) or 40 days (long round). The main structure is: 2 days of loading/ gorge (with HCG consumption), between 21 and 38 days of low calorie diet (depending on the type of round), 3 days of low calorie diet without HCG and then 3 weeks as a maintenance phase. After the maintenance one can repeat, if found necessary.
- Lunch and dinner are the targeted meals for this diet plan, which must have the same content. For breakfast only water, coffee, or tea are permitted. A meal contains 100 g of lean meat, one type of vegetable (from a limited menu of allowed foods), one type of raw fruit (from a limited list), and one breadstick / small piece of toast (Melba). All of these will add up to 250 calories, and the exact same content must be consumed twice a day.
HCG Diet Protocol Summary
The full HCG protocol developed by Dr. Simeons is entitled Pounds and Inches – a New Approach to Obesity. It speaks about obesity in relation to HCG, glandular theories, techniques, and all aspects of the treatment. The HCD diet protocol basically expands all of the ideas in the HCD diet plan, which we will speak about more in the last section of this article. The full HCG Diet Protocol can be read here.
HCG Diet Food List
The Dr Simeons HCG diet is associated with a very strict list of foods that are allowed during the 26 or 40 day diet plan. These are the foods that are permitted:
Vegetables: celery, cucumber, asparagus, radishes, onions, fennel, lettuce, tomatoes, cabbage, chard, beet greens, or spinach.
Proteins (with all fat and skin removed prior to eating): chicken, extra lean beef, white fish, crab, lobster, shrimp.
Fruit: strawberries, grapefruit, orange, apple. (juice of one lemon a day)
Drinks: tea, coffee, water.
Extra: melba toast, stevia (for sweetening), apple cider vinegar, mustard, approved sugarless gum, and any natural spices, herbs, garlic, pepper, or salt.
Individuals who go through this diet can end up losing two pounds per day and over one hundred pounds upon completion, but it is considered unhealthy and unsafe by a large part of the medical and scientific community. It is recommended to consult a medical professional before doing any weight loss program.
HCG Diet Plan
The HCG diet plan can be separated into two main parts: HCG and low-calorie diet, with a 1234 step frame. HCG under the form of a product (injection or oral product) needs to be purchased. After that, the type of round needs to be selected: the short version (26 days) or the long version (40 days). The first step involves two days (dubbed the ‘loading days’) in which one eats as much as one desires (but the emphasis being on high fat) while taking HCG on both days.
Once the two loading days are over, the low-calorie diet begins. Depending on the kind of round chosen (26 days or 40 days), one will experience 21-38 days of low-calorie diet. After the last low-calorie diet day, three days of low-calorie diet without HCG will follow, and after that three weeks of maintenance. If necessary, the entire Dr Simeons HCG diet plan can be repeated, but only after the three week maintenance phase is over.
As general observations, exercise is not required throughout the diet. Nonetheless, two liters of water every day are needed. A meal consists of 3.5 ounces of protein (the equivalent to 100 grams), a fruit, a vegetable, and a breadstick or Melba toast. Coffee or tea with stevia as a sweetener is allowed throughout the process in unlimited quantities.